Creative Bitter Awesome Sparkly



................................................................Creative Awesome Sparkly Bitter ......................................................


Friday, February 11, 2011

#36 Who Moved My Cheese?

I remember about 11 or so years ago when I was at my last job and we had a bunch of internal changes, many of which didn't sit well with the older set. Next thing you know the book Who Moved My Cheese? starting greeting some of these folks when they would arrive at their desks on random mornings. It's hard to imagine that anyone could manage their staff that way, but alas it was done and it went over as well as you'd expect.

Fast forward to a couple of years ago and I remember reading an article in Harvard Business Review generational trends and how the core traits of generations basically repeat over the course of history as the one sets' actions influence the next. Very cyclical people we are and it was an amazing article. This made me think of how different my generation is from both the Boomers and the Millenials. Those 2 however are surprisingly similar in some respects. Particularly when it comes to having their cheese moved. This lead me to the idea of writing a Who Moved My Cheese, the Gen Y Edition.

See, the Boomers needed that book because their parents (and some of themselves even) largely held same job their whole careers, so when adversity would strike, they seriously had no idea what to do. This jaded our parents who in turn jaded us. We Gen Xers never had any fucking cheese anyway so we had to either find it, make it or just bitch about it. Eventually we sort of figured it out, but then came the next group ready to take over. But the Millenials are like robots. They expect things to be where they are and are truly puzzled when they're not. Wha..? The golden ring is always behind this pink barrel on this level. I dont...it doesn't...compute.....TILT>>> They can't handle it. And in the workplace it's the same. Slightly different cheese, but same reaction. I work with some of these people (kids). They need a book. I can write it. It will help them. Gold stars and blue ribbons for everyone. We're all winners.

No comments:

Post a Comment